Monday, December 10, 2012

Mr. Terry Cummins our dealer from Ireland writes

I joined the Heidelberg Agents in Dublin 
in 1969. At that time there was a keen interest in a switch from Letterpress to Litho. So here was my new job re-training Compositors to make Film Negatives and Howson Algraphy Plates
and the Letterpress Printer how to run his new Heidelberg Offset. 
The problem as I saw it was why be sub agents for UK Suppliers when we should seek direct agencies. Our first opportunity came when Ilford the Irish Film Distributors were closing and offered my Boss the Irish Agency for Polychrome Plates. We gladly took the agency and met the MD Mr. Van Lynden and the Gentleman responsible for accounts Mr. Zimmerman and their export manager Mr. Garritsma. (excuse the name spelling as I work off old memories) Then I had the great pleasure of meeting Lutz Massic the Technician who was to train me at their plant in Osteride Germany. This was to begin an excellent period of my introduction and training in visible images after exposure to subtractive
Plates GAP , GAN and  also DSN double sided Negative Plates.

I wonder if our German friend Lutz is still in good health and enjoying life.


The Company I worked for got into Financial difficulties and that brought more into the Polychrome family as 
I was offered the agency so started my own company in 1974 and started to purchase my plates from Polychrome UK and this brings Tom Heckels, Bill Griffiths, Clive Easteal and Peter Cornfort into the new picture

Interesting to find out how they all are. I know Tom Heckles moved to Australia
many years ago

Regards

Terry Cummins


KS note.      Ilford was Polychrome's early partner and invested in Osterode factory.     So it is not surprising they were organizing sales channel.        Partnership was later dissolved as Ilford moved away from graphic arts business.        Thank you very much Terry for providing us with perspective from sales end.        Ken