Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Offset plate (part 2)

Offset plate (part 2)
Eastman Kodak had invented a copying process, which they named Verifax to compete with the diffusion reversal method. Addressograph Multigraph direct image plates did not accept the Verifax image which was a silver gelatin coating, but ours did. We developed a unit with the assistance of a company located at 8 ½ Orange Street in Bridgeport CT to transfer the Verifax image to our plate. I went to Kodak in Rochester several times in this regard. Kodak was not able to get the image on the plate to pick up ink on the
offset press. I invented a solution, patent # 3029727, which when applied to the imaged plate solved this problem. Kodak was very surprised how I did it. One thing I learned from the Vice-President of Kodak who was in charge of the Verifax project was to keep notes; previously I had relied on my memory. Kodak mentioned that they had an excess supply of letter size Verifax copiers but were back ordered on legal size. I told them I would expect this. Although over ninety per cent of stencil duplicating was printed on letter size paper, the only people who bought letter size stencils were companies that had letter size forms. Everyone else paid extra for the legal stencils just in case they needed to make a legal size copy. When we made the aluminum presensitized plates we coated the paper plates with the sensitizer and sold them as Polycoat.