Monday, January 28, 2013

email from Bill Rodriguez Polychrome Alumni '59-'60


Greetings,
 
I just looked over the archive of Polychrome Corp. I worked in the lab with Simon Chu, Ibert Mellon, Al Taudien and Jerry O'Connor after I graduated from CCNY in 1959 (B.S. Chemistry). I remember many of the early names; Bob Gumbinner, Ray Lauzon, etc. Mr. Halpern hired me right out of college but I only worked there for about a year. I was encouraged by Simon and Jerry not to be drafted and to go into the service as an officer. I took their advice and signed up for the Naval Aviation Officer Candidate and received my commission in December 1960. I became a Naval Flight Officer and attained the rank of Captain (O-6) and retired from active duty in 1987. I live now in Atlantic Beach, Florida. I sort of followed Polychrome for many years after the stock went public and I always regretted not buying it.
 
I enjoyed seeing all the old pictures of my colleagues and the building on 2 Ashburton. Times have changed but I always will be thankful for the advice I received from Simon and Jerry. The Navy was a wonderful career for me.
 
Best wishes,
Bill Rodriguez

and my immediate response

Hello Bill     Thank you very much for your note.      I just had lunch with Simon Chu this week and the name of Jerry O'Connor surfaced as a good chemist who chose more promising career of sales.       Ray Lauzon and I worked closely when he ran Fernwood paper coating factory before his untimely death by traffic accidents.     I spoke to Bob Gumbinner the other day.     He is 94 and is doing well in retirement home in Virginia.    Thank you again for writing to me.     I thought this archive reached only to those in my close circle.        I am delighted the blog is reaching wider audience.       May I post your mail on the blog?      Perhaps this would encourage more to surface!?         Thanks     Ken

and Bill writes again

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your reply. It was a long-shot email that worked out just great. How is Simon doing? Please say hello for me and let him know how grateful I have been for his advice. Also say hello to Bob but I am sure he doesn't remember me. I didn't know Ray too well but I am sorry to hear about his death. Jerry always said that sales was where the action was.
I know a guy in Europe named Gerald D'Avignon who works for Sun Chemical. Somehow or other we got around to talking about Polychrome. Today I thought about him, he's the son of my gal Helene's cousin who lives in Belgium, and checked Google. One thing led to another and I wound up on your blog, which I read for about two hours looking for old names and faces. It was a very interesting and informative history of the company. Polychrome was a big step up for me from the streets of the Inwood section of Manhattan.
If you are interested in classical music please check out my website dedicated to my great-great-grandfather;  www.julianfontana.com .
My best wishes to you and also my thanks for your blog. I know it takes a lot of work and dedication. Please feel free to post my letter.
Bill

(Thanks Bill for writing!)