Saturday, October 22, 2016

About Mr. Gumbinner 1

About Mr. Gumbinner 1          By Mr. Gumbinner  

Robert Gumbinner:

I joined Polychrome in February 1946 and worked there for 35 years. I started as the only chemist. After a few years we hired other chemists, Bob Teichner, Cort Briggs, Walter Kropf, who worked on mimeograph inks, and Sandy Marcus. I was the only employee with an engineering degree until we started to construct the D-line and hired Stan Mikrut, a mechanical engineer, and Ray Kryloski, a draftsman, to assist me and do the detail. Later, we hired Dr Huang, a PhD chemical Engineer, and Ed Lowell, an industrial engineer. In the early years, I would at times be the plant manager, assistant treasurer, quality control supervisor as the situation required it. As the company grew, I became a vice president and finally an Executive Vice President in charge of research, development, manufacturing, and engineering; then ultimately Senior Executive Vice President. In 1959, Mr. Halpern sold me several thousand shares of Polychrome stock at book value. Later I was granted options and I acquired more shares.