Saturday, February 25, 2017

Polychrome GMBH1

Polychrome  GMBH  1        By Mr. Bob Gumbinner

Mr. Halpern attended DRUPA in1962. DRUPA is the largest printing exhibition in the world. It is held in Dusseldorf, Germany, every four years. There are many exhibit halls some of which are as large as the New York Coliseum. I did not attend this DRUPA but went to many after that. There, Mr. Halpern met Feist and Aurich who owned a company in West Berlin that made electrically etched aluminum offset plates. These were not presensitized. The printers coated them with the light sensitive coatings. He probably also met people from Ilford. Ilford was the major producer of photographic film in England. Shortly thereafter, I went with Mr. Halpern to Wet Berlin to visit the Aufa operation, which we then bought. With Ilford putting up 40% of the money and Polychrome 60% we established a German Company, Polychrome GMBH. Leonard Dore of Ilford was made the chairman of Polychrome GMBH. I visited the Ilford plant in London. This was the first time I saw the Spiral coater. I had previously been to plants doing photographic coating where the paper or film was carried on sticks through the drying tunnel. I also went to Ilford’s paper coating facilities near Manchester, England. I remember Manchester as being a dreary place with cobblestone streets; and to get heat in the hotel room one had to put a shilling in the heater. When I went to the bar for a drink I could not understand what the local people were saying, even though they were speaking “English.” I did not have this problem in London or Scotland.